(1) Pronounce Reena.
(2) In the original "Statsradinde Falks villa"--showing that it had belonged to the widow of a cabinet minister.
(3) Du equals thou: Tesman means, "If you could persuade yourself to tutoyer her."
(4) See previous note.
(5) Pronounce Tora and Taya.
(6) Mrs. Elvsted here uses the formal pronoun De, whereupon Hedda rebukes her. In her next speech Mrs. Elvsted says du.
(7) "Bagveje" means both "back ways" and "underhand courses."
(8) As this form of address is contrary to English usage, and as the note of familiarity would be lacking in "Mrs. Tesman," Brack may, in stage representation, say "Miss Hedda," thus ignoring her marriage and reverting to the form of address no doubt customarry between them of old.
(9) He uses the familiar du.
(10) From this point onward Lovborg use the formal De.
(11) In this speech he once more says du. Hedda addresses him throughout as De.
(12) "Enest hane i kurven"--a proverbial saying.
(13) Literally, "That you burn for me."