The Monkey's Paw Part 2 Quiz
- 5 pages
- Subject: Character Analysis, Literary Devices, Plot, Themes, Tone, Vocabulary, Lesson Plans and Educational Resources
- Common Core Standards: RL.9-10.1, RL.9-10.2, RL.9-10.3, RL.9-10.4, RL.9-10.5
- Grade Levels: 8, 9, 10
Additional The Monkey's Paw Resources
This close-reading quiz covers all of part 2 in W. W. Jacob's "The Monkey's Paw."
About This Quiz
Our Owl Eyes quizzes have been designed to provide students with more than a simple review of the text. Each multiple choice question corresponds to a particular selection from the text, promoting opportunities for developing and testing close-reading, critical-thinking, and literary-analysis skills. Each quiz contains the following components:
- A series of multiple choice questions with accompanying text
- Several short answer questions for extended, written answers
- A comprehensive answer key for both sections
In completing these quizzes, students will be able to demonstrate their ability to close read, think critically, and comprehend general and nuanced elements of the text.
Excerpt From This Quiz
Read these passages from part 2 of "The Monkey's Paw," and then answer the question that follows each passage. Refer to the passage in answering the question. Circle the correct answer to each question.
- In the brightness of the wintry sun next morning as it streamed over the breakfast table he laughed at his fears. There was an air of prosaic wholesomeness about the room which it had lacked on the previous night, and the dirty, shrivelled little paw was pitched on the sideboard with a carelessness which betokened no great belief in its virtues.
What does this detail suggest about the monkey's paw?
A. The Whites have grown to hate it.
B. It no longer seems frightening and mysterious.
C. It is more ominous than it had been the night before.
D. It no longer possesses magical powers.